Geogard™ 221 (Lonza)
- Broad spectrum cosmetic preservative.
- A little goes a long way.
- Approved for certified organic cosmetics.
- Global regulatory approval.
- Suitable for vegan cosmetics.
- Not tested on animals.
- Two sizes available: 20ml and 50ml
Ingredients: Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Water.
Geogard™ 221 (by Lonza) is a broad spectrum cosmetic preservative that has been approved by ECOCERT/COSMOS, NATRUE and Soil Association. It is suitable for use in natural, vegan and certified organic cosmetics. It uses dehydroacetic acid diluted in benzyl alcohol as the main preserving agent. It is a water-soluble amber liquid which is added to the cool down phase of a formulation.
Geogard™ 221 can be used effectively over a wide pH range of 2 to 7. It's efficacy is compromised in products above pH7. It can be used to preserve both leave-on and rinse-off products like creams, lotions, hair conditioners, as well as shampoos, shower gels, body washes and makeup. If the product contains a polar solvent (like water, ethanol, acetone, methanol etc.) and the final product is within the acceptable pH range, then Geogard™ 221 may be used.
Manufacturer's recommended usage range: 0.2 - 1% (in weight).
Natural Nerd's recommended usage rate: 0.5% (in weight)
At the recommended usage of 0.5%, then 20ml of Geogard™ 221 can preserve up to 4kg of product, and 50ml of Geogard™ 221 can be used to preserve up to 10kg of product. You would add approximately 1ml to every 200g of lotion.
How to use:
- Do not touch or ingest. Wear gloves when handling Geogard™ 221.
- Measure Geogard™ 221 in glass or stainless steel.
- Thoroughly incorporate between 0.2 - 0.6% of final formulation weight.
- Always add Geogard™ 221 when the final product has cooled down to at least 30°C.
- Always store your products in sterilised containers, and manufacture your products in a disinfected environment to prolong the efficacy of the preservative.
- Always test pH at room temperature, since pH is temperature sensitive.
- Some plastic pipettes are resistant to Geogard™ 221, whereas other plastics may corrode.
Recipes by Natural Nerd:
- INCI: Dehydroacetic Acid and Benzyl Alcohol and Water.
- Density (at 20°C): 1.059
- Solubility: Highly soluble in polar organic solvents (eg. ethanol, acetone etc.), and water-soluble at low levels.
- Download the Manufacturer's Product Information Sheet Here
- 20ml size is packaged in an amber glass jar with a glass pipette. The lid is made from HDPE plastic.
- 50ml size is packaged in an amber glass jar with a glass pipette. The lid is made from HDPE plastic.
- Paper label.